2018 is coming to a close, where are you with your goals?
It has been awhile since my last post, however, I feel compelled to post at this time, the year is coming to a close faster than you can say Kumbaya
October 1st. the first day of the last quarter of 2018, my gums (my wife dislikes the term) where is 2018? Where did it go?
It has been (thus far) a year of challenges, excitement, uncertainties, expansions and contractions. Simply put an AMAZING YEAR
I have a few questions for you:
- Where are you with your (calendar) year to date cooperate goals
- Where are you with your personal goals?
- Where are you with your professional goals?
If your answer to any of the above is less than 75% of target, you need to take action NOW! All is not lost we just need to kick things up a few notches, in order to do so I suggest you do the following:
- Go back over the past 3 quarters, and identify your most productive month?
- What contribute to the month’s success? Identify specifics.
- What’s the gap in your goal(s) let’s say you are 60% of target, take the 40% balance and add 20 % to it, (yes I can hear you saying, Paul you are a crazy man we are 15% below target and you are telling us to add 20 % more to that?)
- Now divide the balance (40+15), 55% by the amount of productive weeks you have left in the year, this of course is dependent on the nature of your business or personal life, that’s your weekly target for the rest of the year.
- Divide the weekly target by 5 and that is now your daily target
- Revisit item 2, your most success month what was the most successful week and day, what made them so successful? Okay! Now apply that same strategy every day of every week.
- If you have not done a market scan, at least do an informal one now.
- Get you team together and sell them on your vision. If it’s personal or professional goals, share with those close to you.
- Now get to work.
- Follow steps 1-8, and I am sure you will finish the year Strong.
Plan yearly, itch it daily.
Cheers, to you most productive last quarter
PS I came across the following article and thought it’s worth sharing.
Would appreciate your feedback
20 SMALL WAYS TO BE HAPPIER THIS YEAR
Written by Joana, Notes from Joana is a lifestyle blog focused on living a wholehearted life
When life gets hard, it’s easy to dwell on the negative and feel sorry for yourself. While it takes a lot more effort to be positive and grateful for what we have, it is so much worth it, trust me. It’s all about putting things into perspective and choosing happiness. Let’s be real, you can’t be happy all the time and it’s OK to have bad days and let it all out – we all have those days once in a while – but there are plenty of small ways to be happier. Plus, there is no better time than the start of a new year to embrace a positive attitude and create new habits that will bring more happiness to your life!
20 Small Ways To Be Happier This Year
- Go to sleep when you’re tired.
After a good night of sleep, you’ll wake up feeling refreshed and ready-ish to face a new day. Plus, you will appreciate going to bed earlier when your alarm goes off in the morning.
- Make someone happy.
Spreading happiness will not only cheer someone up but it will also make you feel better, too. Make your mom a cup of tea, call your best friend, or compliment someone on their outfit. Good energy is contagious.
- Celebrate your small victories.
What if instead of wasting so much time putting ourselves down for not being good enough at something, we celebrated our small victories? It can be something like getting complimented at school or work, learning a new recipe, or making that phone call you were dreading. Be your own cheerleader!
- Practice gratitude.
Think about something you’re grateful every day before going to bed and write it down. When you take the time to count your blessings, you realize that your life is actually full of things to be grateful for. Your mind is simply too clouded and too busy to see it.
- Put down your electronics for an hour every day.
The Internet is pretty amazing, we all know that. But it’s also addicting and that is why it’s important to switch off. Read a book, go for a walk outside, and spend more time with your loved ones.
- Stop snoozing your alarm.
It will only make you feel more tired.
- Start journaling.
Writing is a therapy, it helps you put things into perspective. But don’t try to be a creative writer – that’s not the point, just let your thoughts out on the paper. Let it be messy and honest, straight from the heart. I tend to do it when I’m feeling anxious or sad and it always makes me feel a better.
- Learn something new.
Whether it is a new language, how to play the ukulele, or coding a website, learning something new will make you feel accomplished.
- Spend more time with yourself.
It can be a bit scary at first but it’s important to learn to enjoy your own company. Curl up on the couch with a good book or go shopping by yourself. You can also try meditation for 10 minutes every morning, it’s a good way to start your day and listen to your own thoughts and needs.
- Cry if you need to.
It’s okay to allow yourself to be sad sometimes, it doesn’t mean your weak. Having a cry and letting it all out will make you feel better but don’t dwell on the negative things for too long.
- Spend more time outside.
It’s scientifically proven that vitamin D boosts your mood and the fresh air will give you an energy boost. It also helps to clear your head when you’re feeling anxious.
- Sweat it out.
I feel like a hypocrite trying to encourage you to exercise but I can’t deny it makes you feel good. And you don’t need to run a marathon, start by taking a walk every day or the stairs instead of the elevator. Baby steps.
- Spend more time with your loved ones.
Make more time to hang out with your closest family and friends, the people who are there for you no matter what and avoid people that put you down.
- Make plans.
Having something to look forward to will not only make you happier but also help you overcome challenges. Well, I might have a busy week coming up at work but at least I’m going to Ikea on Saturday and can treat myself to some new bits.
- Buy a planner and organize your life.
If you love stationery and planning as much as I do, organizing your life with the help of a pretty planner will make you feel accomplished and prepared to tackle your to-do list.
- Stretch out your body in the morning.
Stretching improves your posture and gives you the energy to face a new day. All you need to do is put your hands above your head and stretch as far as you can for a few seconds. Super easy!
- Step out of your comfort zone.
I’m the first to admit this isn’t easy but it’s so empowering to take a step out of your bubble and overcome a fear. Don’t let fear hold you back.
- Learn to let go.
You are wasting your energy by worrying about things that happened in the past. Been there, done that. You can’t go back and change them so focus on the present, instead.
- Smile to your reflection in the mirror.
Yes, do it. I do this every time I’m feeling a bit blah, is that weird? Yeah, it’s weird. But I promise it actually works. Of course, it really depends on the situation but smiling, even when it’s fake, activates a little something in your brain that makes you feel happier.
- Remember: you’re the one in charge of your happiness.
You can’t control what happens to you, you can only control how you react to it. You can’t also rely on other people to bring you happiness, it must come from within, so focus on creating a positive mindset!